After update, login loop

hi,
Am Mittwoch, den 04.07.2018, 15:36 +0200 schrieb Liam Proven:
> On Wed, 4 Jul 2018 at 15:27, Oliver Grawert <ogra at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>

> > i think it is actually a GNOME/GDM thing ...
> AIUI the recent GNOME 3 versions of gdm run under Wayland, not X. But
> no, I still think it's a Wayland thing.

it actually pre-dates the existence of wayland quite a bit ...
from lennart poetterings wiki entry (from 2012) at:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/DisplayManagerRework

"At the same time we'd also like to make all display managers bind
explicitly to vt1, instead of allocating the first free VT."

Ubuntu (and debian) just refused to use this setup for quite a few
years ... with the decision to go with GNOME by default and to reduce
the distro specific patches we simply inherit that fedora design ...

ciao
	oli