Difficul;ties with trying to install and use tv adaptor

Bret Busby wrote:
> I have purchased and tried to install, a tv adaptor;
>     AVerMedia A867R AVerTV Volar HD Nano USB TV Tuner
> for PAL digital television in Austyralia, on UbuntuMATE 16.04.x

> I tried to inslall MythTV, which would not install from the Ubuntu
> Software Centre, because it wants to get rid of MySQL, also tried to
> install MeTV and TVTime.
>
> Amongst other problems, apparently, the tv device is not detected.

What is the output of the command

ls /dev/dvb

in a terminal when the device is connected? If there is no directory at
that location, what is the output of

lsusb

where it should have an entry for the device with the device name or at
least an entry for Avermedia.

And maybe there is only a missing firmware. You may need the package
linux-firmware-nonfree.

> I am wondering whether a simple method exists, of getting this device
> working on UbuntuMATE Linux 16.04, without having to eliminate MySQL.

I would suggest to use kaffeine instead of MythTV - there is no conflict
with mysql and it is the best application for DVB reception IMHO.

Nils