Newly installed UbuntuMATE 18-04 does not boot

On 04/06/2018, Ralf Mardorf <silver.bullet at zoho.com> wrote:
> The first steps of troubleshooting could be
>
> 1. Run a LINUX from a live media, e.g. an Ubuntu Mate 18.04 live DVD,
>    by choosing the option to test Ubuntu Mate without installing it.
>
> 2. After the session started, open a terminal.
>
> 3. Run
>    sudo gparted
>
> 4. In the right upper corner of the gparted window is a selection box.
>    Select one drive after the other, perhaps you could see, that
>    something already is installed.
>
> 5. Run
>    caja
>
> 5. Mount all partitions, caja does provide mount options, but you not
>    necessarily get access to all directories, since the live DVD default
>    user might have UID 1001 and the /home/* of the installed user might
>    be owned by 1000, but there's no need to access /home/*. However, if
>    you want to acess it, run
>    sudo caja
>    or
>    sudo -i
>    and take a look by using command line only.
>
> If you should see an installed Linux, e.g. run
>
> cat /media/u*mate/*/etc/os-release
>
> resp.
>
> cat /mount/point/etc/os-release
>
> the next step could be installing grub (not the packages, but the bootloader
> to the drive).
>

> --

I have (I think) found the answer (by accident).

This new and weird(-ish) computer has the means within the BIOS
settings, so, I set the boot order in there, and (in the first
instance, anyway) it seems to work.I have not encountered that before,
where the boot sequence of the installed operating systems, is set and
controlled within the BIOS (on a UEFI machine).

--

Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."