Output from 'groups' is suddently different to /etc/group

 > Well, something major like a whole new hypervisor, which
 > installs its own virtual network adaptors and everything,
 > then yes!

How would I know? I was just looking for something like VirtualBox, to
play around with a different distro. All in user space.

Now I would think twice about installing all that stuff.

As far as I remember, Synaptic did not tell me that I had installed
something ground-breaking, or that I had to log off or reboot
afterwards. Or are you expecting end-users to read the installation log?

Regards,
   rdiez