vertical taskbars on MATE - was: 18.04 = circular login problem on system freeze

On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 at 02:45, Ralf Mardorf <silver.bullet at zoho.com> wrote:

> To a vertical mate-panel add "Window List" and enlarge the panel to 384
> pixels. IIUC what's called "Window List" for mate-panel is what Liam
> calls "task bar".

Right. I am back. Along with some other stuff, I tried it.

No, it is not what I mean.

A taskbar is the combination of multiple elements:
* start menu
* quick launch area (optional)
* app switcher
* notification area
* clock

So here is a best-effort with MATE:

https://imgur.com/dBfjico

Note how it is broken in multiple ways.

[1] The menu button is vertical. Should be horizontal.
[2] Quick start icons have scaled with the panel. This is incorrect;
they should stay constant size but arrange in rows with the panel.
[3] The app switcher is sort of functional, but there is no spacing.
[4] Also, AFAICS, I can't pin apps to it.
[5] Note that the system indicators are arranged vertically.

So, as I said:

MATE cannot do vertical taskbars. GNOME 2 couldn't, and as MATE is a
fork of GNOME 2, it is still broken.

> Liam's guess seems to be, that a vertical mate-panel does look like
> a vertical xfce4-panel, but actually Liam is mistaken, a vertical
> mate-panel does look like a deskbar xfce4-panel, at least for the
> "task bar", aka "Window List", aka "Window Buttons".

But that is not enough. The functionality is missing. It is broken.

> The versions of the panels might be important.

Latest available version.

As I said. It does not work.

UK: +44 7939-087884 - Ä?R (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053