18.04 = circular login problem on system freeze

On 07/10/2018 02:13 PM, Liam Proven wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Jul 2018 at 19:41, Wade Smart <wadesmart at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> HAAH I had a few other names for them myself but, yea. :D
>
> I gotta say, I'm feeling totally vindicated in my decision to steer
> very far clear of GNOME 3.

My experience is exactly the opposite. I upgraded my laptop from Ubuntu
16.04 to 18.04 and in limited use have seen no problems.

> Cinnamon is OK -- I'm using it on one Mint 19 box and another with GeckoLinux.

On the same laptop I upgraded Mint 18 with Cinnamon to Mint 19. After
the upgrade completed and rebooted Cinnamon crashed and popped up a
dialog saying it had crashed and I was in fallback mode. At this point I
did have a very basic looking but usable desktop.

I did some googling and found other people with problems also. They were
talking about waiting for a kernel update to fix it.

This laptop doesn't have anything important on it so i googled and found
out how to add Mate along side Cinnamon. Mate seems to run fine, now I
can only boot to Mate even if I choose Cinnamon.

I noticed a couple of things after the Mint upgrade. About 10 seconds
after I choose Mint at the grub menu the screen turns purple and the
words Ubuntu 19 are centered on it.

It then takes about 3 and a half minutes to get to to the login prompt.

Once I get a chance I will remove Cinnamon and see if that improves things.

Regards,  Jim