[no subject]

David Marsh wrote:
> It's because any form of attachment creates all kind of cruft (fore and
> aft) which a MIME-aware mailer would hide from the reader, but which a=20
> newsreader can't be expected to be aware of, making the message hard to
> read. I read all large lists via gmane as it would simply be too much
> information for me to deal with as 'mail', otherwise.
<snip>
> --=20
> David Marsh,          <http://www.viewport.co.uk/>  /  [en, fr, (de)] =20
> Edinburgh, Scotland.  <email valid@time-of-msg> but list reply preferre=
> =BB Don't seem lazy & stupid: Please trim & interleave quotes in replie=
s =AB

I'd just like to point out that without MIME, that signature wouldn't
come across properly. The =BB is an ISO 8859-1 character (the Western
European standard encoding), and you need MIME to use that. Without
MIME, all you can reliably use is plain ASCII. So no German =DFs, no
French accents, no Greek letters, no Russian, no Japanese, no
Chinese,...

I agree that MIME has facilitated a lot of unwanted extra attachments.
I'm sending this with mutt, which has been trained to seriously score
down HTML-only e-mails.

But MIME is a necessity for so much of the world's population that
honestly, any general-purpose mail or news program that doesn't
understand it is broken.

(You seem to be using slrn. I thought that understood MIME. It certainly
generates correct MIME...)

James.

--=20
E-mail address: james | "The duke had a mind that ticked like a clock and=
,
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | like a clock, it regularly went cuckoo."