Problem installing mysql server on 18.04

On 07/02/2018 02:09 PM, Jim wrote:
> On 07/02/2018 03:02 PM, Colin Law wrote:
>> On 1 July 2018 at 12:12, Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I have installed mysql-server and then run
>>> sudo mysql_secure_installation
>>> which prompts me to enter a root password.
>>>
>>> I then run
>>> mysql -u root -p
>>> and get prompted for the pasword but then I get
>>> Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost'
>>>

>> Has anyone any suggestions on this or how to debug it?
>> mysql_secure_connection says it is setting the root password but then I
>> cannot connect.
>>
>> Colin

Can you still connect with no password?  If so, connect and then issue a
"FLUSH PRIVILEGES" command.  If the right configuration commands were
given, this will cause them to take effect.  I ran into this problem
several months ago, and if I remember correctly, that was what solved it
for me.

Nataraj