synaptic on 17.10

On 25/01/18 20:36, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Thursday 25 January 2018 15:01:25 Peter Flynn wrote:
>
>> [...] Synaptic still retains a strong following.
>>
> That's because its a well trained child, does what you tell it to do,
> and doesn't often rock the boat.

It has occasionally messed things up because it unwittingly installed
something broken, but it can hardly be blamed for that.

> The spoiled brat named aptitude has destroyed a working system for
> the 3rd and last time here. So now its shot on sight. With rm if
> needed to get rid of it.

I'm not a big fan of character-cell interfaces.

> Thats fine. IF you know the package name.  For that, there is synaptic.

I usually know the package name because it's something I have known and
used on another system or because someone had suggested I use it. I got
a new printer/scanner last week, so I knew I needed xsane. Mr Google is
also useful, of course.

> [...] So its not all that user friendly on a pi running jessie.

That does sound a pity, but it's a combo I don't have.

> Most of my stuff here is machine control and with the kernels pinned
> to a realtime build, wheezy is running all but one machine, and I can
> ssh -Y into any other wheezy and run synaptic-pkexec from the shell.
> From a nice comfortable chair. Is there some way I can restore that?
I'll leave that to the experts.

///Peter