Really strange glitch with Ubuntu 16.04.4 LTS 64-bit

Hi,

I hope this is the right place for this kind of message. If it isn't, I
apologise and ask you to direct me to the appropriate mailing list.

I'm running it on a lenovo ThinkPad T420 laptop and have been for years.

Kernel info: Linux turing 4.4.0-121-generic #145-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 13
13:47:23 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Just before logging in, I saw this unexpected error message:
"The system is running in low-graphics mode. Your screen, graphics card,,
and input device settings could not be detected correctly. You will need to
configure these yourself".
Logged in then everything was except I could not access the Internet.

Rebooted. Got to the same unexpected error message except at this time, the
system was not responding to the keyboard so I did a hard shutdown by
pressing the power button down and keeping it down.

Rebooted. Error message gone. Logged in OK. Accessed the Internet and typed
up this email.

Strange.

Ian

-- Free Software page - https://sites.google.com/site/