wrong icon

On Thu, 5 Apr 2018 20:57:08 +0100
Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5 April 2018 at 18:44, rikona <rikona at sonic.net> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 05 Apr 2018 06:08:43 +0000
> > Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Generally that would be a bug in that program. I suggest
> > > reporting it using ubuntu-bug package-name.
> >
> > Thanks for the reply. It doesn't seem like a program bug, and I'll
> > give a specific example which might help to define the problem a
> > bit better. As is often the case, the devil is in the details. :-)
> > Let's say I want to open Konqueror and type the letter K in the
> > Dash. The correct icon for Konqueror does appear and if I click on
> > that icon it launches the program. Also, if I put the correct
> > Konqueror icon on the desktop and click on that it also launches
> > the program. When I minimize the Konqueror program, though, it goes
> > to the Treeline icon in the vertical launcher bar. A small white
> > triangle appears on that icon, and a right mouse click on the
> > Treeline icon shows the running instances of the Konqueror program.
> > Things are functionally correct except the icon is incorrect. This
> > launcher bar behavior survives reboots, updates and other changes -
> > somehow, in the launcher bar, Konqueror always appears as a
> > Treeline icon when minimized. I have a lot of icons in the launcher
> > bar and didn't spot this behavior for some time, and it was one of
> > the ways that I thought programs "disappeared" when they were
> > minimized. Now, since I know about it, I just go way down to the
> > Treeline icon [it is far down because I don't use that program
> > often] to restore Konqueror. Not a big problem but it would be nice
> > if the association was correct.
>

> You didn't make it clear whether it misbehaves if you start it from
> the Dash.  If it does then why mention the operation when launched
> from an icon on the desktop.

It doesn't make any difference how it was started - even the CLI. It
still minimizes to the wrong icon. I mentioned that to show that the
correct icon appears, and works, in several places, so the pgm does
know about the correct icon.

> Is this 16.04 running Unity?

Yes, but I do have KDE pgms and other pgms that I run.

> Can you provide a list of the programs you have noticed it on? Is
> there anything obvious in common between them?

Not sure re a complete list - I try out a lot of pgms and many are
removed if I don't find them valuable. It does seem to be the ones that
are KDE, Mate, etc. I don't think I've seen it on Gnome pgms. Maybe
something about a desktop difference? I use multiple instances of konq
all the time and just fixing that would be helpful. There seems to be
at least a few inconsistencies between Unity and KDE.