Gwrite/Wordpad equivalent?

Of course, Ubuntu comes with text editors and word processors -- the
former can be extremely lightweight (or not), and the latter is
generally extremely heavyweight.  There used to be an app in the middle,
though -- the Wordpad equivalent, for Linux.  Pretty sure it was Gwrite,
which seems to have ceased development in '11 or so.

Nutshell: looking for a stupid lightweight word processor.  Don't care
if it opens .DOC files.  Don't care if it publishes to .HTML.
Basically, I want a text editor with fonts and a UI, for those times
when I don't want to trade 37.4 TB of system RAM for a few hundred words
of proportional-spaced stuff written in a GUI on-screen.

Anything out there?

Thanks,

-Ken