Another rant

Liam Proven schreef op 17-11-2017 0:18:

> Agreed with all of that. It's caused a whole world of problems, too.

I just lost an entire day to C because

a) I'm a novice
b) Older versions of GCC had different behaviour

So I had a program that used a shift of a *char value.

Little did I know that on the older system this would work (it shifts
the actual bit representation of a char),

but on newer systems it doesn't (I think you can guess what happens).

So I spent 4 hours hunting down a bug, but I already lost say 6 hours
because my program didn't work.

I have a deja vu very strongly.

Who the hell makes a char a signed value anyway....

:(.