Can't boot notebook from SSD

On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 5:59 AM, Ken D'Ambrosio <ken at jots.org> wrote:
> On 2017-05-03 08:49, Liam Proven wrote:
>
>> Ergo, there must be enough space to _write_ to those files, or it won't
>> boot.
>

> I didn't get that from the article, either.  Writing to NVM -- or BIOS -- is
> something you want to do some times, sure, but I'm hard-pressed to think of
> a situation where that would actually prevent a boot, instead of simply
> throwing an error or two.  Thus my original suggestion that the OP disable
> splash and quiet in the kernel boot line in order to root-cause the issue
> at-hand.

I note that my desktop, which is running off a Patriot SSD, has a 1MB
bios_grub partition at the front end.

The notebook actually had a 94MB supposedly UEFI (bios_grub?)
partition, but gparted shows it as an unknown partition.

I'll give it a go when I have time this weekend.  For now, the
notebook is running casually but well (not zippy like the desktop).

Thanks.