ASCII or Unicode? (was best text editor for programming Python on a Mac)

On Monday, June 20, 2016 at 10:01:00 AM UTC+5:30, Phil Boutros wrote:
> Steven D'Aprano  wrote:
> >
> > Quote:
> >
> > "Why do we have to write x!=y then argue about the status of x<>y when we
> > can simply write x?y?"
> >
> > "Simply"?
> >
> > This is how I write x?y from scratch:
> <snip long, arduous process>
>
>     To wrap this back full circle, here's how it's done on vim:
>
> Ctrl-K, =, ! (last two steps interchangeable).  Done.  Result:  ?

Are these 'shortcuts' parameterizable?

>     It's still probably a horrible idea to have it in a programming
> language, though, unless the original behaviour still also works.

That goes without saying:
Gradual evolutionary changes are more likely to be lasting than violent
revolutionary ones.

Which evolution is already happening:

Fortress: https://umbilicus.wordpress.com/2009/10/16/fortress-parallel-by-default/
[unfortunately died along with its patron Sun microsystems]

Agda: http://mazzo.li/posts/AgdaSort.html
which is based on Haskell but cleans up
-> to ?
forall to ?
In addition to allowing arbitrary operators like ?

Julia: http://iaindunning.com/blog/julia-unicode.html

And of course the original APL: http://aplwiki.com/FinnAplIdiomLibrary