Remove comma from tuples in python.

On Feb 21, 2014, at 6:32 AM, Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> wrote:

> In article <mailman.7230.1392992078.18130.python-list at python.org>,
> Peter Otten <__peter__ at web.de> wrote:
>

>> [x*x for (x,) in lst]
>>
>> [paraphrasing...] can be better written as:
>>
>> [x*x for [x] in items]
>
> I'm torn between, "Yes, the second form is distinctly easier to read"
> and, "If you think the second form is easier to read, you're admitting
> you're not really fluent in Python?.

I?ve used the comma form with struct.unpack() frequently:

count, = struct.unpack(?!I?, self.packet)

That?s after I don?t use it and end up scratching my head for a while and finally remember that unpack returns a tuple regardless of how many things I unpack from it. It?s just natural if you?re doing lots of single unpacks to think it returns a single value. Either way, I much prefer it to:

count = struct.unpack(?!I?, self.packet)[0]