socket: Too many open files

On 13Oct2018 14:10, Shakti Kumar <shakti.shrivastava13 at gmail.com> wrote:
>I?m running a script which basically does a traceroute to the list of
>hosts
>provided, and then pulls up some info by logging in to gateways in the path.
>I am running this script for a list of almost 40k hosts in our data centers.
>Also, I am using commands module to get the traceroute output.
>
>out = commands.getstatusoutput('traceroute ' + ip)
>
>However I observe that this particular line is failing with socket error
>after I reach some 5k to 6k hosts.
>I know commands module is using pipes to execute the given command and this
>is one reason for exhaustion of file descriptors.
>Any suggestions for improving this and getting a workaround?

I'd figure out where your file descriptors are going.

Is traceroute leaving sockets littering your system? If you're on Linux
this command:

  netstat -anp

will show you all the sockets, their state, and the pids of the
processes which own them. Does your script cause sockets to accrue after
the traceroutes?

If you write a trivial shell script to do the traceroutes:

  while read ip
  do
    traceroute $ip
  done <file-with-ips-in-it.txt

does it also exhibit the problem?

The if doesn't, then traceroute may not be the problem and something
else is leaking file descriptors.

In fact, given that it is file descriptors, maybe sockets are not what
is leaking?