How to install matplotlib in Debian 9

On 06/08/2018 11:54 AM, Markos wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm starting my studies with Python 3 on Debian 9 that I just installed.
>
> I have to install the matplotlib module, but I am in doubt what is the
> difference of the commands:
>
> pip3 install matplotlib
>
> or
>
> apt-get install python3-matplotlib
>
> Is there any difference in the packages which are installed?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Markos

It's generally preferable to use your distribution's package manager
(apt-get) to install packages, as you will then receive updates as they
become available.? However, Debian is notorious for having
stale/outdated packages in its repository.? If you need the latest
version of matplotlib, use pip (you'll have to update it manually).? If
you want old but stable, use apt-get.

-Jim