Research paper "Energy Efficiency across Programming Languages: How does energy, time, and memory relate?"

On Saturday, September 16, 2017 at 11:01:03 PM UTC-7, Terry Reedy wrote:
> On 9/16/2017 7:04 PM, b... at g...com wrote:
<snip>
> The particular crippler for CLBG problems is the non-use of numpy in
> numerical calculations, such as the n-body problem.  Numerical python
> extensions are over two decades old and give Python code access to
> optimized, compiled BLAS, LinPack, FFTPack, and so on.  The current one,
> numpy, is the third of the series.  It is both a historical accident and
> a continuing administrative convenience that numpy is not part of the
> Python stdlib.

OK, I found this statement intriguing.  Honestly, I can't function without Numpy, but I have always assumed that many Python programmers do so.  Meanwhile: most of the time, I have no use for urllib, but that module is in the standard library.

I noticed the adoption of the @ operation for matrix multiplication.  I have yet to use it myself.

So is there a fraction of the Python community that thinks that Numpy should in fact become part of the Python stdlib?  What is the "administrative convenience" to which you refer?