The Incredible Growth of Python (stackoverflow.blog)

On 14/09/2017 05:37, Terry Reedy wrote:
> On 9/13/2017 2:44 AM, Paul Rubin wrote:
>
>> Are there actually Py3 codebases?
>
> Let's think a bit.? There is the Python half of the Python3 codebase,
> perhaps 400K.? But we can discount that.
>
> Then there are all the Py compatible modules on PyPI, which is to say,
> most of the major one.? How could not not notice those?
>
> One of them is a little project call Django.? I believe that this is the
> one slated to be 3.x only in its 2.0 version.
>
> I believe at least one linux distribution uses Py 3 for its system python.
>
> A year ago, a producers of a Unicode-based app sold internationallly
> announce that their next version would be Py 3 only.? When 3.3 came out
> with the new Unicode implementation, they developed a 3.3 version of the
> app.? By 3.5, they realized that 3.3+ unicode made things much easier,
> wile maintaining the 2.7 version was painful by comparison.? They asked
> their (non-programmer) customers if they already used the 3.x version or
> could install 3.x to run the 3.x version.? 95% said yes to one of these.
>  ?So they decided that the next version, early this year, would be 3.x
> only.
>
> Have you ever hear of a little startup called 'Instagram'?? Earlier this
> year, they announce that they had about finished an 18 month process of
> switching most of their Python code to 3.x.? They described in fair
> detail how they did it.? Really impressive.

Not quite there yet but according to this
https://www.reddit.com/r/Python/comments/6z6wst/twisted_is_93_ported_to_python_3/
a little project called Twisted is 93% ported to Python 3.

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence

---
http://www.avg.com