class inheritance when not defined

On Fri, 8 Sep 2017 07:03 pm, Ben Finney wrote:

>> Who is the father of ExampleClass1 ?
>
> No-one, since classes do not have gender. (The convention is to use the
> gender-neutral ?parent? to refer to that relationship.)

Possibly not the case in Russia. Besides, words have gender in many languages.

While I have no problem with correcting people's English when it is relevant,
there's a good way and a bad way to do it.

Good way:

    Foreigner speaking English as their second language:
    "Who is the father of this class?"

    Native English speaker:
    "The father is 'object', but in English we would normally
    ask 'what is the parent?' instead."

Bad way:

    Foreigner:
    "Who is the father of this class?"

    Native:
    "No one, you ignorant heathen foreigner!"

Worse way:

    Foreigner:
    "Who is the father of this class?"

    Native:
    *PLONK*

I'll leave you to guess where I think your response fits in this scale :-)

--
Steve
?Cheer up,? they said, ?things could be worse.? So I cheered up, and sure