Grapheme clusters, a.k.a.real characters

On Fri, 21 Jul 2017 06:05 pm, Chris Angelico wrote:

>> But emoji sequences will often require four code points, three of which will
>> be in the supplementary planes.
>>
>> http://unicode.org/emoji/charts/emoji-zwj-sequences.html
>
> "Often"? I doubt that; a lot of emoji don't require that many.

Oh come now. When given the possibility of an emoji that says:

"smiling man"

versus one that says:

"medium-light skinned left-handed man with blond hair and grey eyes who is a
Capricorn and likes Chinese food and playing soccer, wearing a brown trilby hat
and riding a blue motorcycle and using a computer, smiling slightly ironically
with a big grin and a wink"

you *know* the kids today will prefer the second.

:-P

--
Steve
?Cheer up,? they said, ?things could be worse.? So I cheered up, and sure