Grapheme clusters, a.k.a.real characters

Random832 <random832 at fastmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Jul 18, 2017, at 19:21, Gregory Ewing wrote:
> > Random832 wrote:
> > > What about Emoji?
> > > U+1F469 WOMAN is two columns wide on its own.
> > > U+1F4BB PERSONAL COMPUTER is two columns wide on its own.
>
> Emoji comes from Japanese ??? - ?(E) picture, ??(moji)
> character.

Yes. Those (U+1F469 and U+1F4BB) are clearly pictures.

The cell phone industry in East Asia insist that they are characters,
loudly enough to get them into Unicode. I disagree strongly.

--
 \        ?I don't accept the currently fashionable assertion that any |
  `\       view is automatically as worthy of respect as any equal and |