Grapheme clusters, a.k.a.real characters

On Wed, 19 Jul 2017 12:29 am, Random832 wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 16, 2017, at 01:37, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>> In a *well-designed* *bug-free* monospaced font, all code points should
>> be either zero-width or one column wide. Or two columns, if the font
>> supports East Asian fullwidth characters.
>
> What about Emoji?
> U+1F469 WOMAN is two columns wide on its own.
> U+1F4BB PERSONAL COMPUTER is two columns wide on its own.
> U+200D ZERO WIDTH JOINER is zero columns wide on its own.

What about them? In a monospaced font, they should follow the same rules I used
above: either 0, 1 or 2 column wide.

If any visible code point is a fraction of a column wide, it isn't usable as a
monospaced font.

--
Steve
?Cheer up,? they said, ?things could be worse.? So I cheered up, and sure