Compiling Python 3.6.1 on macOS 10.12.5

>Why are you trying to compile Python manually? You should use Homebrew to
>install Python in 99% of cases. (The package is python3)

I'm not the person you answered, but I can explain why I do things that are not "optimal" or "easy" or "best".

I am interested, I want to learn something, I think it's fun to do things the hard way. I want to learn how it *really* works. I want to modify it, break it, and fix it again. And I think it would be good for this community to encourage that (as long as it doesn't hinder their progress).