[Python-Dev] PEP 594: Removing dead batteries from the standard library

On Tue, 21 May 2019 00:06:35 +0200
Christian Heimes <christian at python.org> wrote:
> On 20/05/2019 23.27, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> > NNTP is still quite used (often through GMane, but probably not only) so
> > I'd question the removal of nntplib.
>
> Is NNTP support important enough to keep the module in the standard library?

I'd phrase the question differently: is NNTP dead enough, or nntplib
painful enough to maintain, that it's worth removing it from the stdlib?

If the stdlib didn't have NNTP support, obviously nobody would suggest
adding it nowadays.  But it has that support, and there are certainly
uses of it in the wild, so we must take that into account.

> > If the wave module depends on the audioop module, and if the wave
> > module is kept in the stdlib, then the audioop module can't be removed.
>
> No, it can be removed. I explained the situation in the "wave" section of the PEP.

My bad.  I had skipped that.

Regards

Antoine.