[Python-Dev] Remove tempfile.mktemp()

Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> If all you need is a random name, why not just use a random number
> generator?
> E.g. I see code like this:
>
>     binascii.hexlify(os.urandom(8)).decode('ascii')

I tend to use os.path.join(dir, str(uuid.uuid4())) if I need to
create a random filename to pass to another program. However, it
would be nice to have a standard helper function that also allows me
to specify a prefix and suffix. Shouldn't it be possible to just
modify tempfile.mktemp() to generate much longer random filenames so
that it is virtually impossible that another program has already
created a file with the same name? Then the security problem is
gone, there is no need to continue deprecating this function and all
programs using it should continue to work.