[Python-Dev] Why a merge for 3.8.0a1?

On 02/04, ?ukasz Langa wrote:

>> On 4 Feb 2019, at 11:58, Stephane Wirtel <stephane at wirtel.be> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> After a git pull, I have seen there is a merge for v3.8.0a1 by ?ukasz
>> Langa, why? I think the code should keep a linear commit and in this
>> case, it's against the "commit&squash" of CPython and Github :/
>>
>> Thank you for your response.
>
>Tagging a release is different from a regular PR in the sense that you want the commit hash that you tagged as a given version to *remain the same*. In the mean time, other developers can (and will!) merge pull requests. If you were to rebase *the release tag* over their changes, the commit hash wouldn't match anymore. If you were to rebase *their changes* over your release tag, you'd have to force-push to update their changes.
>
>This is described in PEP 101.
>
>- ?

Hi ?ukasz,

Thank you for this explanation and I have checked the PEP 101 and also
the way for 3.7 and there is also a merge.

Thanks, today, I have learned one thing.

Have a nice day,

PS: Really sorry for this bad ping but I wanted to have an explanation.

St?phane

--
St?phane Wirtel - https://wirtel.be - @matrixise