[Python-Dev] Compilation of "except FooExc as var" adds useless store

Hello,

On Sun, 6 Jan 2019 17:26:09 +0200
Serhiy Storchaka <storchaka at gmail.com> wrote:

[]

> Because there is a reason for such code.
>
> See issue1631942 [1] and the thread with the subject "self-contained
> exceptions" on the Python-3000 mailing list [2] for the rationale.
>
> In short, the code
>
>      try:
>          1/0
>      except Exception as e:
>          del e
>
> should work.

(Dark) Magic. Live and learn/think. So, we allow user to delete a var,
then recreate it, just to delete again. Thanks for both the hint and
references, Serhiy!

I can only agree with what Chris wrote in the initial reply - it
would nice if there would be an explanation of these tricks somewhere.
I myself wouldn't know a better place than the source code comments.
Well, at least I did trace it to the source code where it's handled.