[Python-Dev] The future of the wchar_t cache

22.10.18 23:41, Steve Dower ????:
> That said, I didn't remove the wchar_t cache (though I tried some tricks
> to avoid it), so it's possible that once that's gone we'll see an
> avoidable regression here, but on its own this doesn't contribute much.

Could you please test PR 2599 on Windows? It makes
PyUnicode_AsWideChar() and PyUnicode_AsWideCharString() not filling the
wchar_t cache. If there is a significant regression in any benchmark or
small regressions in several benchmarks we can consider to continue to
fill the cache in these function and to preserve the cache in future.
Otherwise I'll merge the PR as is.

https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/2599