[Python-Dev] Tests failing on Windows with TESTFN

If the problem is AV scanners, then they should be opening them properly for this (and since the delete is not failing but is being deferred, I assume it's allowing deletes). If the problem is elsewhere in our code base then we have a different bug.

Top-posted from my Windows 10 phone

From: eryk sun
Sent: Sunday, 29 July 2018 15:28
To: python-dev at python.org
Subject: Re: [Python-Dev] Tests failing on Windows with TESTFN

On Sun, Jul 29, 2018 at 12:35 PM, Steve Dower <steve.dower at python.org> wrote:

> One additional thing that may help (if support.unlink doesn't already do it)
> is to rename the file before deleting it. Renames are always possible even
> with open handles, and then you can create a new file at the original name.

Renaming open files typically fails with a sharing violation (32).
Most programs open files with read and write sharing but not delete
sharing. This applies to Python, except temporary files (i.e.
os.O_TEMPORARY) do share delete access. Renaming a file is effectively
adding a new link and deleting the old link, so it requires opening
the file with delete access. Also, renaming a directory that has open
files in the tree fails with access denied (5).