[Python-Dev] Testing C API

29.07.18 15:39, Steve Dower ????:
> On 29Jul2018 1253, Serhiy Storchaka wrote:
>> The benefit is that it will be easier to run all C API tests at once,
>> and only them, and it will be clearer what C API is covered by tests.
>> The disadvantage is that you will need to run several files for
>> testing marshal for example.
>
> Can we make the regular tests import and also run the related C API
> tests? So that a normal run wouldn't normally include the entire C API
> test directory, but would include test classes in the related Python
> test modules? (Maybe there's a way to decorate the test classes for this?)

There are many ways of running tests:

     ./python -m test test_capi
     ./python -m test.test_capi
     ./python -m unittest test.test_capi
     ./python -m unittest discover Lib/test/test_capi/

They need different solutions for making them disabled by default. Seems
that the simplest way is to move test_capi out of the test directory.
But I think that in any case this will complicate testing code.

> I agree with the intent, but also think that's quite a disadvantage. It
> would be good to avoid it.

Actually this disadvantage is not very large. There are not much C API
tests for now. Testing unicode requires running not just test_unicode,
but test_codecs, test_codeccallbacks, test_format, and yet few test.
test_bytes itself is a mess, it needs significant rewriting. Marshal C
API is outdated (it is based on FILE*), it is mostly unused in CPython.
In any case Python tests should be enough for testing Python API.