[Python-Dev] Benchmarks why we need PEP 576/579/580

On 2018-07-22 01:14, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> Jeroen was asked to provide benchmarks
> but only provided them for Python 2. The reasoning that not much has
> changed that could affect the benchmarks feels a bit optimistic, that?s all.

The micro-benchmarks showed a clear difference on Python 3.8 (git
master) between tp_call and optimized call paths.

The application benchmark on Python 2.7.15 shows that the difference
between tp_call and optimized call paths matters in real applications.

I agree that this isn't 100% bullet-proof evidence, but at least it's a
strong indication that it might be worth it to start discussing the
actual PEP.

Jeroen.