[Python-Dev] Why aren't escape sequences in literal strings handled by the tokenizer?

I fed this into tokenize.tokenize():

    b''' x = "\u1234" '''

I was a bit surprised to see \Uxxxx in the output.? Particularly because
the output (t.string) was a *string* and not *bytes*.

It turns out, Python's tokenizer ignores escape sequences.? All it does
is ignore the next character so that \" does the proper thing. But it
doesn't do any substitutions.? The escape sequences are only handled
when the AST node is created for the literal string!

Maybe I'm making a parade of my ignorance, but I assumed that string
literals were parsed by the parser--just like everything else is parsed
by the parser, hey it seems like a good place for it--and in particular
that the escape sequence substitutions would be done in the tokenizer.?
Having stared at it a little, I now detect a whiff of "this design
solved a real problem".? So... what was the problem, and how does this
design solve it?

BTW, my use case is that I hoped to use CPython's tokenizer to parse
some Python-ish-looking text and handle double-quoted strings for me.?
*Especially* all the escape sequences--leveraging all CPython's support
for funny things like \U{penguin}.? The current behavior of the
tokenizer makes me think it'd be easier to roll my own!

//arry/