[Python-Dev] Process to remove a Python feature
Le 02/05/2018 ? 11:11, Victor Stinner a ?crit?:
> * Communicate on python-dev, Twitter, Python Insider blog, etc.
> * Collaborate with major Python projects to help them to migrate the alternative
I wonder if it would be interesting to have a package available by
pypi.org which would provide the removed features. In your example, the
developers would have to update their source code:
# giving 'obsolete' as name for this package
platform.linux_distribution() -> obsolete.platform.linux_distribution()
The code in 'obsolete' package could come from the removed code from
cpython or a wrapper around a third-party package ('distro' package in
- quick temporary fix for users -> the removal is less painful
- the name of the import is a hint that something has to be fixed ->
useful for new comers on the user source code
- it pushes the question to how many times the previous behavior should
be maintained from python language to 'obsolete' package. So it's not
- it adds a step to removal procedure.
- I guess there are some features not movable into a package.
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 833 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP digital signature