[Python-Dev] Nuking wstr [Re: How can we use 48bit pointer safely?]

30.03.18 16:54, Antoine Pitrou ????:
> We could also simply nuke wstr.  I frankly don't think it's very
> important.  It's only used when calling system functions taking a
> wchar_t argument, as an ? optimization ?.  I'd be willing to
> guess that modern workloads aren't bottlenecked by the cost overhead of
> those system functions...

This is possible only after removing all Py_UNICODE related C API. It is
deprecated since 3.3, but only in the documentation, and should stay to
the EOL of 2.7. Only in 3.7 most of these functions started emitting
deprecation warnings at compile time (GCC-only). [1] It would be good to
make them emitted in other compilers too. In future versions we could
make them emitting user-visible runtime deprecation warnings, and
finally make them always failing after 2020.

[1] https://bugs.python.org/issue19569