[Python-Dev] Informal educator feedback on PEP 572 (was Re: 2018 Python Language Summit coverage, last part)

Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> writes:

> Actually, I'm closer to -1 on (a) as well. I don't like := as a
> way of getting assignment in an expression. The only thing I would
> give a non-negative rating is some form of "where" or "given".

+1 to this; ?:=? doesn't convey the meaning well. Python's syntax
typically eschews cryptic punctuation in faviour of existing words that
convey an appropriate meaning, and I agree with Greg that would be a
better way to get this effect.

--
 \           ?Self-respect: The secure feeling that no one, as yet, is |
  `\                                    suspicious.? ?Henry L. Mencken |