[Python-Dev] Slow down...

On Wed, 9 May 2018 14:25:06 +1000
Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
> On Mon, May 07, 2018 at 10:23:32PM +0200, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> > On Mon, 07 May 2018 19:19:28 +0000
> > Ryan Gonzalez <rymg19 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > 10 years feels like a simultaneously long and arbitrary limit. IMO a policy
> > > of "try to avoid major language features for a while" would work better.
> >
> > I would remove "for a while".  "Try to avoid major language features"
> > sounds good.
>
> It sounds good, until you ask about "What if we had that policy from
> the beginning?"
>
> Let's see what sort of language features we would miss out on if we
> avoided language features because there was an existing alternative:
[...]

"Try to avoid" would make it more of a general guideline than a hard
rule, IMHO.

I proposed the idea in another thread that Python had reached "peak
syntax" and maybe it was time to consider the core language essentially
mature.  Of course, we don't know what the future will bring and
perhaps some fundamentally new programming idiom will appear in the
next years that deserve implementing in Python.

Regards

Antoine.