[Python-Dev] Guido's Python 1.0.0 Announcement from 27 Jan 1994
Someone in HackerNews shared the Guido's Python 1.0.0 announcement from 27
Jan 1994. That is, on this day, 20 years ago.
It is very entertaining to read.
* Guido was the release manager, which is now taken up by other core-dev
* Announcement highlighted *readable* syntax.
* The announcement takes a dig at Perl and Bash. While Bourne shell is
still very relevant and might continue for a long time, we recognize the
difference is use cases for Bash and Python.
* Documentation was LaTeX and PostScript.
* Error-free builds on SGI IRIX 4 and 5, Sun SunOS 4 and Solaris 2, HP-UX,
DEC Ultrix and OSF/1, IBM AIX, and SCO ODT 3.0. :-) We no longer have them.
* You used WWW viewer to view the documentation and got the files via FTP.
Fun times! Cheers to Guido and everyone contributing to Python.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...