[Python-Dev] Are undocumented functions part of the stable ABI?

On 2018-04-04 17:56, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> It would be helpful if you explained the context of your request.

The context is PEP 575. I guess my question is mostly about
PyCFunction_Check(). I will not be able to keep it 100% backwards
compatible simply because the goal of that PEP is precisely changing the
classes of some objects.

Now the question is: am I allowed to change the implementation of
PyCFunction_Check()? If it's considered part of the stable ABI, then the
answer is immediately "no".

By the way, does anybody happen to know why the PyCFunction_* functions
are undocumented? Is it just an oversight in the docs or is it intentional?

But regardless of the context, I think that the question "Are
undocumented functions part of the stable ABI?" should be answered in
PEP 384.

Jeroen.