[no subject]

Agree entirely, but as mentioned above, I'd be extremely surprised if pydev wanted to be in a position of complete denial about the project. If that were the case, I'd have concerns about using it at all.

> A reasonable request of pydev would be for python-coded stdlib modules to be updated as much as possible, if that has not already been done. No 'apply', no 'except SomeException, e'.

I think it was addressed later, but this only really helps those who copy code from the stdlib. I would not expect the stdlib files to get the "single-source only" flag - there's no reason it shouldn't match 2.7 exactly. (Or maybe there is and I haven't thought of it, but I don't think this is the reason.)

> For PSF/CPython, this is so untrue that it looks to me like an excuse to take without giving back. This might be 'unfair and incorrect', but it is my perception.

>>     > On 4/14/2014 11:32 AM, Steve Dower wrote:
>>     [...]
>>     >> However unfair
>>     >> and incorrect it may be, there is a perception in some businesses
>>     >> that open-source projects do not want contributions from them.
>
> I took this to mean that they think any 'do not want' is peculiar to them as from a business. Perhaps I was wrong to project that on them.

No, this is exactly what I meant.

Over the years there has developed a strong sense (at least on the closed-source side) of "us" versus "them", due to silly things that have been said by both sides (Microsoft was certainly guilty of this). The bridge has been burned and CPython is doing a great job of rebuilding it, but the big/established companies still need to get used to the idea that paid and unpaid developers are not enemies and we can all contribute to these projects. Slow progress, but we're getting there :-)