[Python-Dev] Specification of C function profiling?

Hello,

it seems to me that there is no clear specification for the
sys.setprofile() event c_call: the docs say "A C function is about to be
called" but it's not clear what that means exactly, in particular when
that C function is an unbound method like list.append.

I also noticed that Lib/test/test_sys_setprofile.py doesn't test any of
the c_* events.

I'm asking in the context of https://bugs.python.org/issue34125
I found out that list.append([], None) *does* generate a c_call event
but list.append([], None, **{}) does not.

Jeroen.