[Python-Dev] PEP 572: Do we really need a ":" in ":="?

On Jul 12, 2018, at 09:23, INADA Naoki <songofacandy at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Yes, the PEP has improved significantly since that time. My guess is the same poll taken now could give an opposite result.
>>

> I still -0 on PEP 572.  But strong -1 on restart discussion about changing it.
> We should polish and implement it for now, not change.

I think that?s likely true.  While extremely painful for so many of us, I think the end result is a much better PEP, and a much better feature.  I was -1 as well, but I?d say I?m a firm +0 now[*].  I like how many of the problematic syntactic and semantic issues have been narrowed and prohibited, and I can see myself using this sparingly.  It?s not the first time I?ve found myself in this position with a new Python feature, and it?s one of the reasons I deeply trust Guido?s intuition and sensibilities.

Cheers,
-Barry

[*] Not that it matters; the PEP is accepted - time to move on!  The world won?t end. :)