[Python-Dev] Micro-benchmarks for PEP 580

> If my idea has 50% gain and current PEP 580 has only 5% gain,
> why we should accept PEP 580?
> But no one know real gain, because there are no realistic application
> which bottleneck is calling overhead.

I'm skeptical about "50% gain": I want to see a working implementation
and reproduce benchmarks myself to believe that :-) As you wrote, the
cost of function costs is unlikely the bottleneck of application.

Sorry, I didn't read all these PEPs about function calls, but IMHO a
minor speedup on micro benchmarks must not drive a PEP. If someone
wants to work on CPython performance, I would suggest to think bigger
and target 2x speedup on applications. To get to this point, the
bottleneck is the C API and so we have to fix our C API first.

http://vstinner.readthedocs.io/python_new_stable_api.html

Victor