[Python-Dev] PEP 572: Do we really need a ":" in ":="?

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018 at 7:12 PM Tim Peters <tim.peters at gmail.com> wrote:
It doesn't even exist yet, but Googling on

    python operator :=

already returns a directly relevant hit on the first page for me:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/26000198/what-does-colon-equal-in-python-mean

The hits above it are all to overviews of Python operators.  Here on
Windows, the interface to the Python doc files in IDLE contains an entry
for each operator, so just typing := in the index search box will
eventually go directly to its docs.  If you can't do something similar on
Linux, upgrade to Windows ;-)

Since this thread is dead and everybody is just posting to get the last
word, I can report that for me, Googling for "Python :=" gives PEP 572 as
the first non-ad hit. Also among the top hits are section 6 (Expressions)
and section 7 (Simple statements) of the Python 3.7.0 docs. Seems there is
at least one thing that Google still does right. :-)

(Though Bing also has an ironically relevant hit: apart from the above
StackOverflow issue, it found a piece of third party documentation titled
Conditionals and loops. :-)

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)