[goals][Drop Python 2.7 Support] Week R-6 Update
On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 5:53 AM Ghanshyam Mann <gmann at ghanshyammann.com>
> Hello Everyone,
> Below is the progress on "Drop Python 2.7 Support" at end of R-6 week.
> * This is very close to mark as complete.
> * We merged many of charm repo patches and few more projects.
> * Few ansible repo failing on centos7 and waiting for migration on centos8
> * I tried to reach out to team for pending patches.
> Project wise status and need reviews:
> Phase-1 status:
> All the OpenStack services have dropped the python2.7.
> Phase-2 status:
> * Pending Tempest plugins:
> ** cyborg-tempest-plugin: https://review.opendev.org/#/c/704076/
> ** kuryr-tempest-plugin: https://review.opendev.org/#/c/704072/
> * Pending pythonclient:
> ** python-barbicanclient: https://review.opendev.org/#/c/699096/2
> *** gate is already broken waiting for gate to be fixed.
> ** python-zaqarclient: https://review.opendev.org/#/c/692011/4
> ** python-tripleoclient: https://review.opendev.org/#/c/703344
> * Few more repo patches need to merge:
> ** masakari-specs: https://review.opendev.org/#/c/698982/
> ** cyborg-specs: https://review.opendev.org/#/c/698824/
> ** nova-powervm: https://review.opendev.org/#/c/700683/
> ** paunch: https://review.opendev.org/#/c/703344/
> * Started pushing the required updates on deployment projects.
> ** Completed or no updates required:
> *** Openstack-Chef - not required
> *** Packaging-Rpm - Done
> *** Puppet Openstack- Done
> *** Tripleo - except python client, all is done.
> ** In progress:
> *** Openstack Charms - Most of them merged, few failing on func job.
> *** Openstackansible - In-progress. centos7 jobs are failing on few
> ** Waiting from projects team to know the status:
> *** Openstack-Helm (Helm charts for OpenStack services)
Disclaimer: I am not a part of the openstack-helm team/community in the
full sense of it,
so these are my personal thoughts on the OpenStack-Helm vs Py3
OpenStack-Helm is a bit odd here:
- it does not have stable branches
- it has single (very ancient, 3 years ago) tag of 0.1.0
- it still supports (as in deploys on CI) Ocata
Given community goal of "Python3 first" was targeting and completed in
Stein, I don't think that openstack-helm should drop support of Python2 in
their startup/readiness/liveness and other scripts unless they are willing
to drop support of OpenStack releases earlier that Stein and demand images
built on Py3 exclusively - and AFAICT they don't.
> * Open review:
> Phase-3 status:
> This is audit and requirement repo work which is not started yet. I will
> start the audit in parallel to finishing the pending things listed above.
> How you can help:
> - Review the patches. Push the patches if I missed any repo.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...