[dev][release][qa] patrole stable/stein is created by mistake ?

Ghanshyam Mann wrote:
>  ---- On Tue, 16 Jul 2019 03:37:05 +0900 Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com> wrote ----
>  > If the project isnâ??t creating stable branches each cycle, how is it cycle-based? Whatâ??s wrong with moving it to use the independent release model, which was created for cases like this?
>
> Tempest and all Tempest plugins are "cycle-with-intermediary" because we want a particular release tag per OpenStack release. That is what we decided in ML discussion while deciding the release model for tempest plugins [1]. With independent release mode, we face the issue of not having the compatible versions of all Tempest plugins which user need to run on against their production cloud.
>
> [1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-June/131837.html

Yes, it's a weird corner case that we regularly rediscuss when we
(re)discover it does not fit well in our traditional
cycle-with-intermediary box.

I feel like having an extra stable-branch-type will help us remember
what to do with those and avoid mistakes.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)