Subject: Re: Re: Hardware acceleration using VIA Padlock
(was Re: [Openvpn-users] a couple of questions)

Den 25. jun 2004, kl. 9:48, skrev James Yonan:

"Eric E. Bowles" <eric@xxxxxxxxxx> said:

[cut]

I got access to a 1GHz VIA C3 box and tried the command using OpenVPN 1.6
and patched OpenSSL library; here are the results:

Stock Patched
OpenVPN OpenVPN

real 1m13.084s 0m47.655s
user 1m12.570s 0m47.560s
sys 0m0.020s 0m0.010s

I see a 34% improvement with hardware acceleration enabled.

Interesting. Note that this percentage might be off what you will see in real
usage, because --test-crypto is doing other stuff like generating a lot of
strong pseudo-random numbers to fill up the test packets.

OpenVPN is also doing per-packet authentication using the HMAC/SHA1 algorithm,
I wonder if this is hardware accelerated as well?

only in the next version of the cpu.

JonB