osdir.com
mailing list archive F.A.Q. -since 2001!

low ad version

Subject: Subject Deleted - Possible Spam

List: health-discussion-help

health-discussion-help Navigation:

Msg Deleted: Probably Spam

Thread at a glance:

Re: WM, processing speed and giftedness

Pontus: I agree, the BIP theory is very neat and logical and it's nice that someone has come up with a theory based on a solid scientific foundation. It just struck me as odd that the WISC tasks where these gifted children got the lowest scores where those most closely related to pure measures of WM and perceptual speed. This could be because the tests themselves or some other variable (scores on auditory digit span are probably more influenced by the test situation). According to some theories g is more important up to a certain level of IQ, beyond that level other factors play a larger role. It's in line with Spearman's law of diminishing returns. https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Spearman%27s_law_of_diminishing_returns "Spearman's law of diminishing returns (SLDR), also termed the ability differentiation hypothesis predicts that the positive correlations among different cognitive abilities is weaker among more intelligent subgroups of individuals. More specifically SLDR predicts that the g factor will account for smaller proportions of individual differences in cognitive tests scores at higher scores on that factor." D: Perceptual reasoning is an index score used in WISC and WAIS based on scores from the performance scale. I think it measures visual reasoning and general reasoning ability. On 15 Apr, 23:52, D <damian.amen...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: > What do you mean by 'perceptual reasoning'? > > On Apr 15, 4:32 pm, Vedber <hopplahoppl...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: > > > I've read various studies which draw the conclusion that IQ is > > essentially WM and processing speed. This seems to be the underlying > > assumption behind n-back as a means to increase IQ. > > I've also come across this pagehttp://www.v-weiss.de/spinadel.html > > which I've seen references to on this board and where the author > > essentially states the same thing. > > > However this seems to be contradicted in studies of gifted children, > > like those presented on this site: > > >http://www.gifteddevelopment.com/About_GDC/whoaregiftd.htm > > > "Test authors have wrongly assumed that gifted children are fast > > processors. Some are very quick; others are reflective or > > perfectionistic, slowing their speed. Gifted children also show a > > preference for meaningful test materials, and may not perform well on > > short-term memory tests or other tasks that utilize non-meaningful > > material. They usually perform so much better with meaningful material > > that their scores with non-meaningful material are difficult to > > interpret. > > > The higher a child’s intelligence, the more reasonable it would be to > > assume that the child would score well in all four of the indices. > > However, as noted above, the gifted group in the normative sample > > scored in the superior ranges on Verbal Comprehension and Perceptual > > Reasoning, but considerably lower in Working Memory and Processing > > Speed." > > > If this is true for gifted children, why wouldn't it be true for > > gifted adults? -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence" group. To post to this group, send email to brain-training@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx To unsubscribe from this group, send email to brain-training+unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/brain-training?hl=en.

Re: Training the power to focus and stay on task

"Objection your honor!" = Man in light house who sees danger coming from miles away "Be careful counselor..." = My ego "But your honor!" = You (Arkanj3l) "Don't make me hold you in contempt!" = My ego (the man in the light house does make a good point - he has the binoculars after all & you sir are overstepping the mark!) ----------------------------------------------------------- "All your haphazard metaphors gave it away." No metaphor is bullet proof, but mine at least have a vest. Your suggestion that ___all___ are haphazard is only an indication that you like to stand naked amongst the flying bullets. On Apr 15, 11:04 pm, Arkanj3l <kenneth.bruskiew...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: > I _knew it_. > > All your haphazard metaphors gave it away. > > Also UOChris1 = total ENTP. Check his Myspace. > > On Apr 15, 5:58 am, likeprestige <plastic...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: > > > > > > > > > If I were to fit into any category it would probably be ENTP. > > > Would like to here how others perceive where they would fit or whether > > they have undertaken any tests that has attempted as much... > > > On Apr 15, 10:24 pm, Arkanj3l <kenneth.bruskiew...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: > > > > Crap, I knew this place was another INTP Central. > > > > *Goes back to INTP --> ENTP Conversion Drawing Board* > > > > On Apr 13, 2:36 am, HorCri <horia.criste...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: > > > > > Delayed gratification, don't eat the marshmallow, executive function - > > > > however you call it - can be trained with a thousand year old > > > > meditation technique from yoga. I have first hand experience with > > > > this. > > > > > I used to be very easily distractible. My personality type is INTP > > > > (always analyzing the world, trying to understand it).  So I would > > > > waste countless hours browsing reddit and other sites, searching for > > > > the low hanging fruit of mental satisfaction and trying to avoid > > > > working on what needed to be done. > > > > > Now I am 2 months into a training session which consists of 30 minutes > > > > daily focusing on the middle of the forehead. That zone is called Ajna > > > > Chakra in yoga, and is described as the "command center" amongst the > > > > other 6 chakras. In neurology the region corresponds to the prefrontal > > > > cortex and is related to the executive function. > > > > > Subjectively, I feel less resistance when tacking work I need to > > > > complete and don't especially like. My productivity is way up high. I > > > > tried Provigil/Modafinil before but it didn't work as well for me. It > > > > feels like an infusion of strength which calms my agitation and lets > > > > me stay on task. > > > > > This is a list of effects from my private meditation logs: > > > > - more disciplined > > > > - more responsible > > > > - more capable of self restraint in emotional situations > > > > - much less inclined to procrastinate > > > > - don't hate the words "I must do ..." as I did before > > > > - less confused about what to do > > > > - more mature (wise) emotionally > > > > - I gave up some preconceived ideas that held me back a long time > > > > - I can look people in the eyes when I talk to them > > > > - I observe more when I go outside the house (people's faces, nature, > > > > houses, etc) - I used to travel in a "tunnel" where I would be almost > > > > unaware when passing by someone I know > > > > - easier to pick up the phone and talk to people I don't know > > > > - I don't feel my will power exhausts immediately as it did before > > > > - there is a kind of toughness or strength flowing in me > > > > - I forget much less often about various things I need to do unrelated > > > > to my pet projects > > > > - I feel less ashamed as a consequence of doing more work and not > > > > forgetting as much -> great ego boost > > > > - I feel less pain in the abdomen and neck as a result of lessening my > > > > anxiety > > > > - easier to go to sleep, don't need to waste as much time on the > > > > computer late at night > > > > > The meditation I use is as follows: > > > > - take up a straight position (sitting with the spine straight) in a > > > > relaxed manner > > > > - close my eyes > > > > - focus on the forehead > > > > - stop controlling the contents of my mind > > > > - let my attention flow into that one spot > > > > - make mental notes of what I feel in the target zone > > > > - ask myself, from time to time, what is the best state I could feel > > > > in Ajna Chakra (forehead) > > > > > As meditation progresses I feel a flow of strength and calmness. At > > > > the end I am ready to start the work. > > > > > Please let me know if anyone has experience with meditation on Ajna > > > > and it's effects on the executive function. -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence" group. To post to this group, send email to brain-training@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx To unsubscribe from this group, send email to brain-training+unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/brain-training?hl=en.

In what ways is dual n-back transferable?

If you improve your score in dual n-back and play many hours of it in total, what else MAY you improve in? -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence" group. To post to this group, send email to brain-training@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx To unsubscribe from this group, send email to brain-training+unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/brain-training?hl=en.

[NH] ملكة جمال المغرب في فلم سكس مع الغنج مثير سكس حمل فلم سكس المثير

ملكة جمال المغرب في فلم سكس  مع الغنج مثير سكس حمل فلم سكس المثير  http://bit.ly/ezorOv   صور المثير سكس  صور سكس متحركة جنس مثير http://bit.ly/eDJAXQ -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Natural Health" group. To post to this group, send email to natural-health@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx To unsubscribe from this group, send email to natural-health+unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/natural-health?hl=en.

Home | News | Sitemap | FAQ | advertise | OSDir is an Inevitable website. GBiz is too! | Ad Serving by nView.io