Problem with gtk_tree_store_new

Hi,

Just a warning: I'm pretty much a newbie to gtk+, so be prepared.
Anyway, I'm having problems using gtk_tree_store_new. For some reason,
when I call it, my program seg faults. Here is the relevant code
(pretty much ripped off from the tree store demo in gtk-demo):

/* columns */
enum
{
UNIT_COLUMN = 0,
POINT_COLUMN,

CAV_COLUMN,
NUM_COLUMNS
};

GtkTreeStore *model;
GtkTreeIter iter;

model = gtk_tree_store_new(NUM_COLUMNS,
G_TYPE_STRING,
G_TYPE_STRING,
G_TYPE_POINTER
);

I'm probably doing something really stupid, but, for the life of me, I
can't figure it out. Is there anything else that I should be doing
before calling gtk_tree_store_new? I tried passing in different
arguments (a different number of columns and different G_TYPES), but it
still seg faults. I even tried calling gtk_tree_store_newv, but same
result. Any suggestions?
I'm using gtk+ 2.0 on debian unstable, if it matters.

Thanks,
Jonathan